Protection and Advocacy for Immigrants:
- Build or join efforts to advocate for local laws and policies which help:
♦ Cities/counties create a firewall between local law enforcement and ICE.
♦ Church and other leaders negotiate with regional ICE Field Office Directors to use their prosecutorial discretion to set up
a justand humane criteria for deferred deportation and to maintain churches, schools, and hospitals as “sensitive zones.”
- Train volunteers to prepare individual and family packets which will help undocumented people with their legal or deferred deportation petitions.
- Train volunteers to help with individual advocacy with ICE/CIS for deferred deportation.
- Prepare to provide short-term emergency shelter to immigrants and a legal assessment.
- Create a rapid response network to film and delay detention.
- If you are in a more dangerous area, help immigrants at risk move to a safer area.
- If you are in a relatively safe area, help newly arrived immigrants resettle.
- Join local actions which are part of
coordinated actions to communicate our support for immigrants to the federal government. national